Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Subject: Inauguration (um... duh!)

So I've been plugged into NPR this morning and the only thing I've been hearing about why this event is so momentous is because Obama is black. The first black president. YES, this is a really big deal. No one thought this would ever happen, and frankly, I am VERY excited about the progress this country has made since I started paying attention to politics.

All this is well and good, don't get me wrong, but seriously, there is so much more to this man than his race. He is the youngest president since JFK. He is popular among Republicans as well as Democrats (though obviously not as many Republicans). Colin Powell endorsed him, and many other Republicans have vouched for his skill at working across the aisle. He may not have much experience, but that is a good thing. He is not jaded by the political battle that so many politicians are accustomed to. He is also one of the most popular presidents in history upon entering office.

I have high hopes, but I am encouraged by what I've heard about the general attitude about the next year in the life of this country. The majority of Americans report being patient with Obama, accepting that he can't do everything at once, that he can't please everyone every day. My high hopes are not unrealistic. I know that his first task will be the economy, which is high on everyone's priority list. But what will his next task be, once he's gotten the ball rolling on that one? Health care? The environment? One of the dozens of other issues that he was voted in for? I'm curious about the future, as I'm sure we all are.

No comments: