Thursday, April 24, 2008

Antidepressants, antideshmreshants

Have you seen the ads for that fibromyalgia pain medication? It mentions that "This medication is not an antidepressant." That makes me laugh.

In middle school I was depressed. Yea, I know, so was every other middle school kid who got tormented by their peers. I was in therapy from 7th grade all the way through college. I went through all the normal depression stuff - laziness, lack of motivation, ridiculous suicide attempts. Yes. I call it ridiculous, because in the throes of depression and angst (over, I believe, unrequired love) I wasn't exactly the brightest tool in the drawer. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say that I started with a handful of pills and ended up staying awake all night with extremely dry and clear sinuses. What? I was 14!

Antidepressants make me sick. No really, I was on one for awhile that made me throw up in the middle of study hall. But seriously, the thought of putting kids on them makes me get all twisted up inside. I'm not saying they don't work. I'm not saying that parents should never resort to pills. But it makes me sick when parents just throw pills at the problem.

I had a really good relationship with my parents. I mean, through all the teenage angst, I was really close with both my mom and my dad. That is probably the defining reason that I made it through the cloud. And I firmly believe that anyone can get through the cloud. But you can't just take pills and expect all your problems to go away. So many kids are just stuffed with pills, whether they want them or not, and nothing works. So their parents stuff them with more pills. I'm not a parent or anything, but I'm pretty sure that you gotta build some sort of relationship with your kids before you start relying on chemicals. Personal relationships are so underrated. How are you ever going to get to know your kids if you just put them in front of the tv all the time, or just shove a video game in their hands or let them glue a cell phone to their ear? Stop complaining about all this damn technology and get the fuck outside. The sun is the best antidepressant out there.

No comments: