Thursday, June 5, 2008

Celebrate good times, COME ON!!

Ok, as an amendment to the previous post, I should extend my compliments to Hillary for "suspending" her campaign. I know exactly why she's not terminating. She needs the money. She can't continue to raise money to pay off her debt if she terminates her campaign, so she's holding on a little longer to get what she can. Plus, like college loans, if she quits early (before the convention) she has to pay back all her loans much sooner.

I don't know how I feel about her being veep, though. I would be supportive if Obama asked her to be and then she turned him down - she can maintain her dignity and be free to pursue her own course of action. But I'm really afraid that if she got on the ticket with him, all the drama surrounding the primary season will just come back and linger. I think there's just too much baggage, and the last thing we, as Democrats, need is more baggage. We're already viewed as whiny, stubborn liberals. We need someone who's free of baggage.

This is a milestone in history for a variety of reasons. It's sad that despite women getting the chance to vote before blacks, they don't get a shot at the white house first. But the difference goes much more than skin deep.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, since this is my blog and no one gets to argue with me (not that anyone even reads this in the first place). I don't believe that the differences between races (skin color) are nearly as dramatic and significant as the differences between sexes. I don't think this is really a point of contention, honestly. Besides the physical aspects (I mean more than just thingies and hoo-hoos), emotionally and mentally we are different. Well, duh.

I don't mean to say that a woman would make a crappy president. I don't mean to say that men are better leaders. I just think that the differences between men and women are so deeply ingrained in our society that, rather than trying to ignore them by covering up our bodies and blowing off our monthly pains, we need to embrace and celebrate our differences.

I suck at cooking, I don't own a vaccuum, and I don't spend an hour putting on makeup and doing my hair. I'm smart, I'm outgoing, I'm assertive. I have a lot of qualities that most men possess - I like fixing things, I love football, and I love cars. I hate it when people call me "sweetie" or "kiddo", and I hate it when men talk to me and look at me like I'm a piece of ass.

But I love being a woman. I have to confess, it gives me warm fuzzies when a guy gets nervous talking to me or when a guy opens the door for me. I really like the traditional date, where the guy pays. I prefer the guy to make the first move, though I might move in first if he's talking too long for my taste. This doesn't make me an anti-feminist. At least I don't think so. I consider myself a very strong feminist. I believe that every human deserves equality, and with that equality comes choice. I will never judge a woman who wants to stay home with her children. I am a career woman, but I can't say what I will feel when I have children. But I'm glad that I have a choice in the matter. I know I will always have that choice, and that makes me comfortable.

When I say that I think the differences between men and women should be celebrated, not ignored, I mean that I think men and women are equal, but different. I am just as good as you, even though I look and act differently. I ask to be treated with the same respect and dignity that you treat anyone else. Just because I bleed once a month and have the ability to bear children doesn't mean that I'm fragile. That is what I think of when I think of feminism.

Then again, maybe I'm just another looney.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Hey Chelsea/Q/Purple Cow, It's Laura, and I was just updating myself on your blog, and I have to say, it is frickin hilarious and also very smart. Keep up the good writing! Ya know, like if that math thing doesn't work out for ya ;)